Monday, September 24, 2012

:: Geometric Art ::

As well as Spring heralding all kinds of wonderful outdoor activities, I have been working away at an assignment for my Course in Rudolf Steiner Education.  
12-petalled flower
This is how mathematics for classes 5/6 in a Steiner (or Waldorf) school is learnt - using art to access the learning.

nest of polygons
Each piece required an extremely high degree of accuracy and precision in order to create the result.

12-pointed star
I thoroughly enjoyed all the challenges we were presented and loved using colour to bring the maths to life.  Colouring each piece became meditative and quite soothing - in contrast to the exacting nature of the process of calculating and creating the shapes.
cascading squares
I don't remember my maths classes being anything like this...do you?



No comments:

Post a Comment